25 Oct Wm. Paul Young: The Problem of Suffering and the Goodness of God (The Shack, Cross Roads, Eve) | The Flipside Podcast #011Audio, Featured, Interviews, Spirituality, The Flipside Podcast Episodes, Updates | joshua
Why does a GOOD God allow evil and suffering?
In 2007, an unknown author’s book was published, and it was like a bomb exploded in the Christian world. Not only did many well-known representatives of the faith embrace the content of the book, there were many others who vehemently criticized it as well, labeling it as heresy.
And boy, did it create a conversation (or should I say many conversations!).
In this episode, I interview Wm. Paul Young. Paul was born a Canadian and raised among a stone-age tribe by his missionary parents in the highlands of Netherlands New Guinea. He is best known for his highly-praised and controversial book The Shack which has sold over 20 million copies to date. Since the success of his first publication, he has written two more books, one being Cross Roads, and most recently, Eve.
IN THIS EPISODE, PAUL ANSWERS THE FOLLOWING:
• Why did The Shack receive so much attention?
• Within Christianity, God is known as a loving Father. Why didn’t you portray God in a masculine form?
• Why is it so hard for many religious folks to accept the idea that God loves unconditionally?
• Is the God of The Shack too nice where “He” no longer matches the God of the Bible (especially the OT)?
• Why does a good God allow suffering?
• It seems like “God allows” EVERYTHING to happen. So is God even necessary?
• Does saying things like “God was with you during those horrible times” do more harm than good?
• In The Shack, what did Jesus mean when he said “I will travel any road to find you”?
• Does it matter what a person believes?
• What are some of the themes found in Eve?
• How is Eve different from your other two books? And what did you want people to take away from it?
• Why was Eve was your most difficult book to write?
• I heard The Shack is gonna be a movie. Can you tell us more about that? Who’ll be starring in it?
• Is there a book tour for Eve?
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
SUPPORT THIS PODCAST TO HELP KEEP IT RUNNING!
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks for chillin’ with me again this week. Have a question or some feedback you’d like to share? Or you wanna just show some love? Leave a comment below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, I’d really appreciate it if you can leave me a REVIEW and RATING on iTunes by clicking here. It helps the podcast a lot and allows more people to discover it as well!
Then follow these steps:
1. Click “view in iTunes” button
2. Go to Ratings and Review.
Finally, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the podcast on iTunes to get automatic updates so you’ll never miss a show!
Thanks again. Peace!
(Image Description: Eve, The Shack, and Cross Roads book covers & Paul Young)